Thursday, January 3, 2008

Hourly Rate Attorneys?


So I was working on posting a list of the billable requirements of local firms and we heard a rumor that the law firm/perennial sweatshop of Alverson, Taylor, Mortensen & Sanders has moved its attorneys off of salary and onto hourly pay.
According to an associate at the firm, the attorneys were called into a meeting yesterday and told the firm would now pay associates at an hourly rate.
The associate's e-mail said:
"Only four associates met the 2,000 billable hours requirement in 2007, so the
partners decided to shake things up. As an 'incentive,' we have to make 80 billable hours every two weeks or we get a smaller paycheck. People are pissed and a lot of resumes are going out the door."
Interesting. Such a change in salary policy brings up a number of questions:
  • Does this mean hourly wage associates will get overtime if they work more than 80 billable hours in two weeks?

  • Will the firm change the tax status of their attorneys to 1099 employees?

  • And, if they don't, is it legal to base bi-weekly compensation on hours worked/billed and still claim the attorneys are salaried employees?

  • Will the firm let their next crop of bright-eyed UNLV graduates know that they will be coming in as hourly employees?

Anyone practicing employment law out there have an answer? Please let me know (nevadalegal@gmail.com). I'll keep you all updated on the Alverson hourly pay developments as I hear about them.

4 comments:

  1. Wow, I wonder how they are going to get away with that and still keep their attorneys. Could this mean that Alverson simply has too many attorneys for the amount of work they are bringing in?

    I honestly do not think they are going to tell their new hires and future summer associates about the change. When I received an offer from Alverson Taylor, I was told by Eric Taylor himself how Alverson Taylor opperates on specific issues of billing, work and bonuses. I came to understand a short time later that the representations made by Mr. Taylor were completely false. If that kind of dishonesty can come so easily directly from a founding partner personally to someone he is trying to hire, there is likely no limit to the lengths this firm will go to in order to milk its attorneys.

    To all you Alverson Taylor employees reading this blog, good luck with your new job search!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know I got an offer from Alverson Taylor too, but decided that a clerkship would increase my marketability down the road. Good thing I made that decision!

    Does anyone think this type of salary structure will catch on at other firms? If so, I will probanly just head back to AZ where firms aren't so crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "When I received an offer from Alverson Taylor, I was told by Eric Taylor himself how Alverson Taylor opperates on specific issues of billing, work and bonuses. I came to understand a short time later that the representations made by Mr. Taylor were completely false."

    Oh, you mean you found out they won't just give you money? You actually have to earn it? Sounds like you're a typical post-911 grad who thinks the world owes you something. Grow up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "I honestly do not think they are going to tell their new hires and future summer associates about the change.'

    As a future summer associate, I have not been notified by them directly about the change. However, I am well aware of the policy. I don't know anyone in the legal community who is not aware of it at this point. I think any notification would be unnecessary.

    ReplyDelete