Friday, January 16, 2009

Evil Ed Gets 3-10 Years

Elizabeth Halverson has finally won one in court, but not without leaving a few quotable statements on the record. Let's start with Ed, from SFGate:
Before he was sentenced, Edward Lee Halverson, 49, stunned a Las Vegas courtroom with a claim that he struck Elizabeth Halverson at their home Sept. 4 because his wife, who must use a scooter to get around, threatened to stab him.

"If she wouldn't have pulled a knife on me and threatened me, I wouldn't have clocked her," [Ed] Halverson said. "I defended myself."
"Clock?" Classy, Ed. We're not real current on our affirmative defenses, but we're pretty sure that it would be difficult to claim you were in imminent danger because Liz was chasing you with a knife. It would play out like the world's slowest joust.

Ironically, Liz was appearing in the same courtroom where she used to practice as a Judge (you know, the one with the reinforced stand), and she couldn't leave the courtroom without tasting her foot a little, from KVBC:
"With everything that happened, what I had left was my brain and my ability to go back and work as an attorney and produce stuff. And with this brain injury, I can't go back and do that right now."
Yeah, we're sure potential clients were lining up outside Liz's door. After all, in addition to her
disgraced dismissal from the bench, she has 9 cool years of clerking experience to offer. 

Hopefully, this is the last we will see of either of them, but we doubt it. Liz let everyone outside the courtroom know that she was appealing the Nov. 17 order by the Nevada Commission on Judicial Discipline that permanently barred her from the bench. See you soon, darling.

(KVBC, SFGate, ATL, Thanks MB!)

3 comments:

  1. Oh, I get it ... it's a "clock" and a frying pan! Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So would her frying pan be privileged under the attorney work-product doctrine then?

    ReplyDelete