Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Don't go against the [Leavitt] Family lest you incur the wrath of Andrew

[Note: we've reported on this Andrew Leavitt story before (link to older post here), but not with the flair or links to evidence it deserved]

Judge Michelle Leavitt's brother, Andrew Leavitt, apparently runs a judicial campaign like an old school mobster. Step out of line or criticize Judge Leavitt too harshly and Andrew will threaten to deal with your "lies and misrepresentations . . . accordingly" or simply declare you his "enemy".

The first instance of Andrew Leavitt's baseball bat style of campaigning came when Kurt Harris, who is challenging Judge Leavitt for her seat on the District Court, accused the judge of never having tried a case. Andrew responded in writing that Judge Leavitt had, in fact tried one trial, and that Mr. Harris' lack of integrity showed that he "should not and cannot be a judge".

The letter closed with a demand that Harris delete the "lies" and "misrepresentations" about Judge Leavitt and "[i]f it is not accomplished, [Andrew] will personally make sure that [the] lies and scandalous misrepresentations are dealt with accordingly." (full letter available here with comments from Mr. Harris available here)

Mr. Harris said that he felt the letter was threatening and the Review-Journal reported on the controversy. (Review-Journal)

Then, on March 28, Andrew Leavitt sent a letter to his former friend, Osvaldo "Ozzie" Fumo, who has known the Leavitts for years after Fumo supported Leavitt's challenger. According to the Review-Journal, Andrew Leavitt's letter stated:

It is amazing to me that you would put our friendship, my sister's friendship, and the entire Leavitt Family friendship down the drain for someone that you don't even know . . . To me this is outrageous and I have no other choice, but to consider yourself a permanent enemy to both myself, my sister and the entire Leavitt family.

Sounds like someone has been watching too many Martin Scorsese movies.

6 comments:

  1. LOL. So we're the mafia now? Cool! I hope this spices up our family dinner nights...

    ReplyDelete
  2. any thoughts on Leavitt as a judge? i have never been very impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't say anything about Judge Leavitt, but I *do* have to back up Andy. He may be quite to-the-point on family matters, but assuming you don't do him wrong, he's a good guy, and he's gotten me out of a couple of pretty tight jams. Honestly, if we had more people like Andy in our legal system, Vegas would be a much better place. --DMN

    ReplyDelete
  4. All I can say is: If Andy say's he's going to do something... You can trust and believe it's going to get DONE with capital D!!! I've known the man ALL my life, and his enemies are my enemies... Love you broham Signed: Randall K. Harder

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree Mr. Leavitt is an honest man. He kept his word and he didn't overcharge. I saw an attorney before him. Cristallis was his name. They had a series. On them??? Mr.Leavitt is legitimate and sincere. Stay away from the arrogant celebrity wannabees.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As a family friend of Andy Leavitt, I must say articles like these are sometimes written simply because there's nothing else interesting going on. Andy is a great guy and is being represented as some sort of mob lawyer, simply not true and even if it was our Mayor for many years here in Las Vegas, Oscar Goodman, was an actual mob lawyer and is truly one of the most up standing people I have ever met.

    ReplyDelete