Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Fun With The Boyd InfoServe


From time to time we here at Wild Wild Law receive tips from current law students attending everyone's favorite second-tier punching bag, our own Boyd School of Law. The majority of these tips refer to postings on the school's InfoServe, an inter-school email system that can be posted to by any student or faculty member, and is subsequently forwarded to ALL students and faculty.

We begin this series with the sad, sad tale of a law student whom, despite apparently making it through his 1L year, still failed to "get it." From the aforementioned InfoServe:
Hello students,

I am a 2L and want to purchase or trade for outlines in the following classes:

Professor Lazos' Constitutional Law II

Professor Grant's Real Estate Finance Law

Professor Gordon's Employment Law

Like you, I am about to finish my outlines for the semester. However,
due to a less-than-desirable GPA last year, I want to augment my
chances of higher grades by studying others' outlines for a different
perspective on the material. I am offering $50 cash for an outline in
any of these classes. Alternatively, if you want to trade outlines
(including my Anderson's Bus Orgs outline), we can just do a
one-to-one trade if we each find the other's outline sufficiently
comprehensive.

Outlines must be completed and ready for trade in person on campus (or
another mutually-agreeable location) by 1:00PM (PST) on Wednesday,
November 26th. I reserve the right to view the entire outline(s)
and/or compare to the syllabus to ensure comprehensiveness for up to 5
minutes before I decide whether to finalize the purchase. Payment
will be made in cash immediately after the complete outline(s) is/are
successfully sent as an attachment to my email address and opened by
me to ensure the correct document was received. If I do not make
payment at such time, you have the right to assault me until I pay.
That is, of course, a joke, as such a right is precluded by public
policy, regardless of consent. If interested, please email me the
following:

1. Subject line: "Outline for [class and teacher]",

2. The first page of the outline's content,

3. A word count for the document, and if it is not complete, an
estimate of how complete it is,

4. The date the outline will be finished (if not complete already),

5. Whether you are taking the class this semester or took it
previously (in such case, include what textbook(s) was/were used), and

6. Whether you prefer cash or a trade.

I have no qualms about paying a single person $150 for the three
outlines if each is thorough and comprehensive. I prefer Word
documents. I highly prefer outlines from this semester but may
consider previous semester outlines.

Finally, at your option, I am willing to sign a contract, created by
you (but perhaps blue-pencilled by me), stating this is a single user
license and may not be used commercially or for purposes other than my
own personal (1) exam preparation and use during the exam (if
permitted), (2) bar preparation, and (3) general knowledge.

Thank you, and good luck with your exams.

[name redacted]

I appreciate the generous souls who offer their outlines for free, but
I prefer to compensate you for them. If you don't hear from me, thank
you for interest but I have chosen another outline. By making me an
offer, you certify you are the owner and creator of the outline(s) and
have the right to sell or license it/them. Furthermore, you certify
the finished outline is complete and comprehensive to the best of your
knowledge, and covers all materials covered this semester in and out
of class, as well as all materials you have reason to know should be
tested on the exam, for the corresponding class.
Well, he certainly was detailed and thorough, two attributes that should one day make him very attractive as a faceless document review monkey at an insurance defense firm junior associate. Perhaps some of our more experienced readers can offer this young whipper-snapper a little advice in the comments. Good luck to you, my friend, good luck.

Thanks to DS for the tip!

9 comments:

  1. Wow. Just wow. If you 1) aren't smart enough to get the grades on your own, AND 2) lack the social skill to acquire good outlines without resorting to this absurd tactic, then let's just say I'm not very confident about your career prospects. Then again, I hear the economy and job market are fantastic right now, so don't worry, I'm sure things will work out swimmingly for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how this person thinks his (her?) grades will matter after the first year. What's he thinking? (*Man, if I can just turn things around now I'll be in line for that 9th Circuit clerkship*). Sad, very sad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I don't have any outlines, but I do have a large sum of money that's unfortunately tied up in Nigeria. Assuming this emailer has a bank account, I think I might have just found the perfect person to help me out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the direction we're headed here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I admit I didn't read the whole email, but I didn't see anything requiring the outline drafter to actually be a good student. I think the emailer could at least limit submissions to the top 10%.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just made a quick fifty. It will come in handy for the jump in tuition.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I graduated from Boyd within the past few years so I'm still interested in the goings on there. But - this posting was really boring and in all honesty, it could have been edited to exclude much of the extraneous information.

    Doesn't blogger.com have the ability to select a point after which to view the whole post you would 'click here' or something? That way you could put a short summary for those of us with ADHD about what happened and only those interested in reading further would 'click here' to see the whole article.
    Just sayin...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Typical d-bag Boyd grad, bitches about a post being too long and boring and then follows it up by writing a long and boring post himself.

    ReplyDelete