Monday, March 1, 2010

Meet the Candidates: Department 26

It's time for WWL's Meet the Candidates 2010! In the coming weeks, we'll be posting information we received from various judicial candidates.

We (of course) are looking for input from our lovely commenters; however, we want to make it clear that this series is NOT entitled "Bash the Candidates." We are looking for your constructive comments as to why these various candidates are or are not qualified to be judges. Please tell us why you feel the way you do ... and try to back it up.

Further information about this ongoing series of posts is available, here. Without further ado, here are your candidates for Department 26:

Bruce Gale
- No response received

Kurt Kay Harris


1. Why do you want to be a judge?

With my experience and demeanor, I believe that I am well suited to make effective decisions based upon the specific facts of any individual case, while applying the law. I strongly believe in the Constitution and reject judicial activism. I do not think that a judge should take part in the adversarial process. Attorneys are there and that is their job. In Department 26, I would listen to the arguments, consider the pleadings, apply the law to the facts and make decisions based upon that criteria.

I have witnessed first-hand, the benefits the public receives from a just judiciary and wish to make efforts to streamline the process, uphold the constitution, reduce costs to the public as well as treating all with courtesy and respect. I would expedite hearings and come to court prepared. Making well-reasoned decisions, based upon the law, reduces future litigation. I would also like to increase the access to the justice system by litigants who are unrepresented and give priority to pro bono attorneys.

I would also like to give priority to cases where witnesses, especially law enforcement, are subpoenaed to appear. We should get these representatives back on the streets keeping us safe. I think we should explore night court and/or bilingual court sessions as methods of saving tax dollars.

2. Why are you qualified to be a judge?

I have been an attorney for more than 15 years and I have a strong desire to take that experience and serve the Eighth Judicial District in Department 26. After graduating from law school, I clerked for some excellent judicial examples, which instilled the judicial desire. Having served behind the scenes and spending a lot of time in our courtrooms on a variety of topics, I am familiar with the process and understand the Rules of Civil Procedure. I have represented a lot of individuals and am desirous to take my experience and put it to work in the Court. Some of my best experiences in trial were when the Judge was rarely heard, the testimony and evidence were presented and a decision or verdict was rendered. No one likes a referee at a contest to decide the outcome of the game. In jury trials, I would not decide the contest, that is the call of the jury.

I have managed a significant amount of cases as an arbitrator. I have additionally tried many jury cases to verdict. I have tried many, many bench trials. However, I also believe I am qualified to mediate when called upon and to explore creative methods of alternative dispute resolution.

Having practiced in our courtrooms, I have the experience necessary to understand what attorneys and litigants face. I understand the difficulty of trial work and would be compassionate and accommodating for witnesses and the scheduling of their testimonies during trial. The Rules can be enforced while maintaining flexibility. I also have found myself arguing a position with a judge in some forums which I do not believe is prudent. The Court is not an advocate and should be the finder of fact and/or the Court should apply the law.

3. Do you read Wild Wild Law? If so, what do you think of the site?

Yes, I read Wild Wild Law. I think the site is informative and gives important and relevant information to the legal community on a local level. Prior to receiving your invitation to respond, I listed your blog on my website, http://www.702judge.com/ as an interesting link. I cannot say I agree with everything posted, however, the information is helpful and your resource may be the only source attorney’s have to consider.

Gloria Sturman



1. Why do you want to be a judge?


Through my experience as a pro tem judge, both in Justice Court and the Short Trial Program, I have come to believe that not only would I find serving as a District Court Judge personally rewarding, but that as a District Court Judge I can make a positive impact on the community that I have called home for 27 years. My years in practice in Clark County have provided me with the legal knowledge, judgment, and demeanor to deliver what I believe everyone wants when they enter a courtroom: a respectful hearing and a fair outcome.


2. Why are you qualified to be a judge?


The purpose in adding seven new District Court seats is to provide courts dedicated to trying civil lawsuits. I believe that my 27 year career as civil litigator has provided an excellent basis to serve as a civil trial judge. I have tried a number of cases to verdict before a jury in both state and federal court (my best estimate is 20 cases). These matters include personal injury, employment, construction, and contract matters. I have also tried a number of non jury cases to verdict. In addition, I have had the opportunity to obtain judicial experience. I served as an arbitrator in the Clark County Court Annexed Arbitration program from the inception of the program until 2002. I have also served as a private arbitrator upon request of the parties. I have served as a Short Trial Judge pro tem since 2005, presiding over several jury trials, as well as non jury trials. I was appointed Justice of the Peace pro tem by the Clark County Commission in 2004 and reappointed in 2006 and 2008. As a Justice of the Peace pro tem I have presided over preliminary proceedings in criminal matters, civil matters including bench trials, and misdemeanor traffic court proceedings. In addition to representing both plaintiffs and defendants in a variety of legal proceedings, and presiding as a judge, I have served as a juror. I believe the breadth of my experience in these roles has provided me with the knowledge to run an efficient courtroom, thus meeting the needs of the litigants, their attorneys, and the tax payers. I believe this breadth of experience also has prepared me to "hit the ground running" by that I mean I believe I have the knowledge and expertise to immediately handle a variety of civil cases, both at trial and on motion practice. I also believe that I have earned the respect of my peers in the legal community, as demonstrated by having been elected to serve in leadership roles in many professional and community organizations including as president of State Bar of Nevada. This is further demonstrated by my having received the A-V rating from my peers in the community through Martindale-Hubbell.


3. Do you read Wild Wild Law? If so, what do you think of the site?


No

17 comments:

  1. lol @ perennial candidate Kurt Harris. Is this the same Kurt Harris who had his entire law firm prohibited from practice in BK court for incompetence?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Same Kurt Harris?

    "firm acted on debtor's frivolous claims without independent investigation"

    391 B.R. 84
    Bkrtcy.D.Nev.,2006.

    Read it. Harris says stuff like:
    "As Kurt Harris, the managing partner, stated in his declaration signed under penalty of perjury: “That the court is additionally intent upon leveling some form of monetary punishment which will operate to remove food from my children's mouths as well as the children of my partners."

    He'll probably sue me now! Oh well, it's public record.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know a lot of people who have worked with Gloria Sturman over the years and think very highly of her. She's definitely got my vote!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not sure if this has already been addressed elsewhere - are any errors in the responses attributable to the candidates or WWL?

    I think that more people should be aware of the misconduct in bankruptcy court referenced by earlier comments, it is pretty appalling. Mr. Harris certainly does NOT have my vote for that and other reasons.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Any errors in the responses belong to the candidates. Due to some fights with gmail, there is some strange formatting and that is most likely my fault. However, I cut and pasted the responses from the candidate's emails to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will also take the blame for any errors in the questions.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gloria Sturman and Nancy Alf will be absolute abominations as District Court judges. They ran the State Bar and the Clark County Bar like it was some kind of rotary club closed to everyone else. This is why no one went to State Bar annual meetings or other bar activities. Why bother--"one year I am President, next year you will be President." Who are they kidding. They are old Vegas. Why are they running with others as a slate and each memeber of the slate has hired Nancy Alf's husband as their 'Campaign Consultant'? If they get elected, wait till they get on the bench. Nancy Alf applied several times for an appointment and thank goodness she never got it. Then she ran and lost. Gloria Sturman has this attitude of "I know better" and "I was here 27 years ago, you weren't." Guess what, Gloria Sturman, the town is a lot different today than it was 27 years ago. I hope the voters reject both of these marginal candidates who are in the hip pockets of old Vegas and the trial lawyers (the Legal side of the Medical Mafia). As Judges, they will be about "Juice" and taking care of their friends and no one else.

    P.S.--Has anyone gone to Bankruptcy Court lately. It is run like a little club not a court.
    Does not surprise that anyone who is not part of the club will have
    problems.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Apparently, the only comments are from the bankruptcy folks. I am happy to discuss what I believe was a misguided sanction. If "Anonymous" checked the record, they would find that I did not appear on that case but was sanctioned because I was a partner in the firm. Some not so clever juris found some way to sanction me. The matter is at the Ninth Circuit. Thanks for the opportunity to respond. Kurt

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kurt -

    I voted for you against Leavitt. That was a damn shame.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kurt, are you going to actually put some effort and $$$ into this campaign, unlike your last attempt?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Or how about Kurt's last election, filing against Leavitt so he could demand her recusal. What an ass

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm a plaintiff attorney who has had several cases against both Harris and Sturman. In my personal opinion, Harris would be a far better judge. I actually agree with his comment that he has the demeanor that would make him a very good judge. I don't think being elected judge would change him or his persona. I can't say the same for Sturman.

    ReplyDelete
  13. 2:03 PM - Excellent post. Da' beatches will further dilute an already over-estrogenized bench.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Is there a "None of the Above" selection for judicial elections? If so, this race is its current poster child. Not since Halverson vs. Miley has there been such a pairing of ill-suited contestants for a judicial office. We must, not just as lawyers but also as Clark County citizens, question why we see so many of the judicial departments headed by unqualified, ill-suited, and/or just plain stupid judges. There must be some way to recruit people with good legal minds and judicial temperaments to become judges on the District Court bench.

    Is it possible to institute some sort of "judge's bar exam" which one who seeks judicial office would need to pass prior to taking the bench?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I was a law clerk in a courtroom where Harris was trying a rather large case. He seemed irritated during the entire trial and did not come off as a very good attorney. The other side was far more prepared. He lost in a big way. But his irritible attitude is what struck me the most. I mean, you're in here doing what lawyers should love to do and you dont appear to be enjoying it in the slightest.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You know Kurt Harris sort of looks like the actor Jerry O'Connell.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I guess Harris is hoping that the more he runs, his name will become commonplace and people think they are re-electing him - just like the problem we saw with Halverson. Actually, isn't that the problem with most attorneys trying to be judges? I think all of them have tried on previous occasions, lost and so they try again hoping to be the better of the worst of candidates. SAD.

    ReplyDelete