Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Meet the Candidates: Department 30

Michael D. Davidson

1. Why do you want to be a judge?

I want to be a District Judge because that's where I can make the most significant contribution to the profession and the community I've invested in since 1978. Like you, I want a judiciary that reflects the best legal talent, mature judgment, fairness and ethics available.

2. Why are you qualified to be a judge?

I am an honors graduate of the U. of Arizona law school where I was Executive Editor of the Arizona Law Review. For over 20 years, I was a successful "AV" rated litigator in private practice handling criminal, civil, family and probate matters. I am admitted to practice in all state and federal courts, including the United States Supreme Court. My partner Stew Bell asked me to come to the D.A.'s office to run the Civil and Familly Support divisions and to do Coroner's Inquests and Death Penalty assessments, which I did for 5 years. Since then, I have been the Chief Deputy City Attorney, Criminal, for North Las Vegas. I have served as a Nevada Supreme Court Settlement Judge, Juvenile Hearing Master Pro-Tem, and Small Claims Referee. Paying it forward is important to me, so I sit on numerous Boards relating to education and kids. My colleagues honored me as a State Bar Governor. Please take a moment to view my web site at DavidsonForJudge.com for a complete resume of my professional and community leadership positions and awards. The depth and breadth of my experiences as a trial lawyer, jurist, business owner and community leader have honed the judgment that qualifies me to sit on the District Court bench.

3. Do you read Wild Wild Law? If so, what do you think of the site?

I view Wild Wild Law with the same sense of guilty pleasure I got from watching "Boston Legal". There's always a thread of serious concerns interwoven with legal mayhem, highlighted by an occasional flash of psychosis.

Craig Friedberg
Campaign website:
www.FriedbergForJudge.com


1. Why do you want to be a judge?

First and foremost, I want to give back to a community that has enabled my family and me to prosper. I understand that making a living in a community creates an obligation to make that community better for everyone. I wish to fulfill that responsibility by working to improve our court system, from the inside.

Our court system is in a precarious position. I have heard many people, lawyers and lay persons alike, speak of it with disgust because they think it is a rigged institution. People want and deserve to be treated with decency and respect. In the courtroom, that principle applies with special force. At stake is the public’s confidence in our system of justice. When a judge does not allow a party or their attorney to present their argument, or when a judge’s intemperance leads them to rule out of spite or anger contrary to the law, the judge undercuts not just the affected person’s confidence in the outcome of their case, but it damages the public’s trust in our overall system of justice.

Justice is not about politics. It should not be about favors, back room deals, or personal ambition. Justice is about doing what is right. It is about following and respecting the law, protecting the rights of all litigants, and ensuring that our community is the safest and fairest it can be. I have a passion for seeing that kind of justice done, and becoming a judge will provide me the opportunity to demonstrate that our judicial system can be one that protects all people's rights and gives them a fair hearing. I want everyone that walks out of my courtroom to feel as though they were given the opportunity to be heard. I also want to do what I can to lower the costs of litigation.

I have several ideas I will implement to obtain these goals:

1) Institute a tentative ruling system (to keep arguments focused and keep hearings short, thus keeping the calendar moving at a crisper pace and cut down on the time attorneys and/or parties are waiting around for their cases to be called);

2) Have staggered start times for hearings (also to lessen the amount of time parties and attorneys must wait);

3) Encourage court appearances to be made by telephone or video, where appropriate (this will, like the above steps, lessen litigation costs);

4) Require that all parties adhere to the N.R.C.P. and Local Rules (to keep a level playing field);

5) Provide a briefing schedule when granting an order shortening time (less a cost saving procedure, than addressing a pet peeve of mine);

6) Make sure the necessary research on an issue is done before the hearing (eliminating the perception the judge is ruling by the “seat of his/her pants” or is relying on the reputation of the party or its attorney rather than the substance of the argument);

7) Institute early status conferences on the cases that will come from other departments (to find out whether there is any common ground on which a resolution can be built, rather than have them languishing for years in the system);.

8) Make myself and my courtroom available for settlement conferences and hearing overflows; and .

9) Work to develop and expand specialty courts, such as our business court, drug court, and the soon to be implemented veterans treatment court (such as a consumer fraud/deceptive trade practices docket).

2. Why are you qualified to be a judge?

Instead of regurgitating my resume (which can be found on my website, www.FriedbergForJudge.com), I would rather tell you a little about my family and me. I am a husband to Lauriann (former EMT-I and current Nutritional Therapist) and father to Ian, Nicole and Joshua. My family and I have resided in Las Vegas for over 20 years. My children have grown up here and attended both public and private schools in Clark County. My family and I are involved in the community on many levels. We are bicycle riders and we have used that activity to raise money to fight MS and my wife and younger children are HAM Radio Operators and are CERT (Citizen Emergency Response Team) trained and qualified. We also volunteer to help out our neighborhood churches and synagogues.

I have been teaching Sunday School for more than 10 years, primarily teaching ethics to young people, and I enjoy helping out wherever my vast experience is needed, from providing many hours of pro bono direction to lay persons and colleagues regarding consumer rights issues, to assisting our high school and college students by regularly serving as a presiding judge at mock trial competitions. I was also an elected member of the board of trustees of a multi-million dollar non-profit for 6 years.

As for my legal credentials to be a judge, I have extensive judicial and quasi-judicial experience. I am currently a Short Trial Judge for the District Court, a Justice Court Pro Tem, I will be beginning my term shortly as a Clark County Hearing Officer and I have been an Arbitrator deciding civil matters for more than 15 years and over 150 arbitrations.

I have been a civil/commercial/
administrative litigator for 24 years in state and federal courts in Nevada and California. I have spent the last decade running my own law firm and fighting for consumer rights (see www.consumerlaw.justia.net). I have represented the plaintiff and the defendant about equally over my legal career, also practicing in the areas of intellectual property litigation, breach of contract, deceptive trade practices, professional malpractice, personal injury, construction defect and labor relations. I know the importance of keeping a well-managed calendar and am dedicated to seeing that, once elected, my department not waste the time of the attorneys that come before me.

I believe a good judge must be unbiased, smart, hard-working, a good researcher and writer, considerate and conscientious of those that appear in his courtroom; and someone who does not forget that it’s the people and businesses of Clark County that pay his salary, and it is his obligation to ensure that every party before him is provided a level playing field. I have been told I embrace all of these qualities. Additionally, I am the one with concrete proposals and ideas to make our court system fairer and more affordable. My extensive civil experience and character are what will allow me to “hit the ground running,” as soon as I am seated, as Department 30, by legislative decree, will have a civil docket.

Treating people with decency and respect is a hallmark of my leadership and my legal career. When it comes to applying our laws, I stand for firm fairness. I will honor the oath of office to uphold the Constitution and laws of the United States and the State of Nevada. I will consider each case before me based on the facts presented and the applicable law. Doing so consistently, in every case or controversy that is presented in my court, is the only way a Judge can hope to achieve the fairness that our legal system was designed to produce.

3. Do you read Wild Wild Law? If so, what do you think of the site?

Until recently. I had not been aware of the site. But once I found it and started reading (and commenting on) the very interesting and provocative articles, it has become a regular part of my daily web surfing. I only wish I had known about the site sooner, as I am sure I have missed some wonderful commentary and responses over the years.


Patricia "Trish" Palm
Campaign website:
http://www.patriciapalm.com



1. Why do you want to be a judge?


Our community needs judges who are dedicated, unbiased, thoughtful and competent. I have those qualities and will bring them to the bench. I went from government to private practice last month so that I would have enough flexibility in my professional life to run a successful campaign. However, my entire career has otherwise been dedicated to public service because I believe in putting my personal strengths to their best use by serving the public well. My desire to be a judge comes from this ideal.


2. Why are you qualified to be a judge?


I am intellectually capable and strive for excellence in my work. This was demonstrated early on when, during law school, I was a Dean’s Scholar and Law Review Editor, and when, in 1995, I graduated with Cum Laude and Honor Society Distinction.


I have a broad range of experience. In 1995-96, while waiting to take Nevada’s bar exam, I was an extern with the Washoe County District Attorney’s Appellate Division and also did contract work for various firms, including Kenneth Ward Law Offices and McDonald Carano Wilson. Since being admitted to Nevada’s state and federal bars in 1996, I have become knowledgeable regarding Nevada’s court system. My experience is set forth on the Bio page of my website. Specifically relevant here, as a Staff Attorney to the Nevada Supreme Court, I advised the Court regarding claims of error and other issues arising in the lower courts and developed expertise in understanding the rules of law and procedure applicable to the lower courts. Further, while serving as a Deputy Attorney General, I represented and otherwise defended Nevada’s state officers and agencies in civil litigation in state and federal courts, as well as provided counsel to various government officers and entities, including advising hearing officers and board members regarding rules of evidence and procedure during hearings.


Finally, I have the right temperament. I am generally thoughtful, courteous and cordial. I have also been endorsed by SEIU Local 1107.


3. Do you read Wild Wild Law? If so, what do you think of the site?

I read the site when I have the time, and I like it. It’s a good place to go for information and entertainment.


Jerry A. Wiese
Campaign Website: jerrywieseforjudge.com


1. Why do you want to be a judge?

I have determined that instead of providing legal services to individuals, I would like to use my experience, training, and expertise to benefit the people of Clark County as a whole. My wife is a 2nd grade teacher and I have seen how she is able to change the lives of children, and make the world a better place, by providing an education to each child. I believe that as a District Court Judge, as I make correct rulings on legal cases, I will be able to make a difference in our community, and make it a little bit better place. My goal is to make sure that the citizens of Clark County have access to a fair and impartial judicial system, with judges who have the qualifications, knowledge, and experience to make unbiased and correct rulings.

2. Why are you qualified to be a judge?

I am the most qualified candidate for District Court Judge in Department 30, based primarily upon my experience. I am regarded highly and respected by my peers, who are civil trial attorneys. This is evidenced by my extensive list of supporters, as seen on my website. The seven new District Court seats, including Department 30, are all designated as "civil law" departments. This means that the Judge elected to Department 30, will be ruling on cases involving personal injuries, medical malpractice, workers compensation, contract disputes, collection law, construction law, etc. For the past 15+ years, I have been a civil trial attorney, practicing in these same areas. I am the only candidate for District Court Department 30, who can make that statement. I am the only candidate for Department 30, who has had a varied practice, involving various aspects of civil law. I am the only candidate for this department who has participated as an attorney in civil jury trials for the past 15 years. If I were a "criminal attorney," I would not be qualified for this seat. If I had a history in civil law, but had practiced in the area of criminal law for the past 10 years, I would not be qualified for this seat. Fortunately, I have practiced almost exclusively in civil law, for the past 15 years. Consequently, I believe that I am the most qualified candidate for Department 30. Additionally, I have served for many years as a Pro Tem Justice of the Peace, so I have experience sitting as a Judge and making rulings as a Judge. I have acted as an arbitrator in more than 150 cases, as a Court-Appointed Arbitrator, and have made rulings and decisions in each of those cases. I grew up in Las Vegas - I have been here for the past 40 years. I graduated from Rancho High School, and I understand the needs, problems, and concerns of the people of Clark County. This community has been good to me, has helped me to make a comfortable living as a trial attorney, and it has provided various services for myself and my family. I now want to have the chance to give something back.

3. Do you read Wild Wild Law? If so, what do you think of the site?

Until I received an e-mail requesting information about my candidacy, I was not aware of the Wild Wild Law website. Consequently, I cannot offer an opinion about the site. I will try to visit this website more in the future, so that I can become acquainted with it and its postings. I do appreciate the opportunity to provide information about my candidacy, and request the support of Wild Wild Law.

36 comments:

  1. I worked with Craig Friedberg when he was at Rawlings Olson Cannon. He was a bright guy and a hard worker. I have to believe he would make a good judge. Just my two cents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am damn impressed with Craig Friedberg right now. Not someone I've seen on every corner as I drive home from work (on a sign, of course), but I like his answers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Does law review really count as a qualification for becoming a judge? Does that matter after your first job?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I concur on Craig Friedberg. I also like Davidson, can we get him moved to run in a different deparment...say against any of the usual suspects.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Does being the Chief City Attorney for criminal mean you handle nothing but misdos all day?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, Craig seems like a damn good guy. He's doomed. The crazy girl from Washoe will win.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can we form a WWL alliance to get Craig elected? Who's with me?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay, an alliance sounds a little weird, but I'd be willing to sully the appearance of my car with a bumper sticker that says, "I'm a lawyer and I'm voting for Craig Friedberg. You should too."

    ReplyDelete
  9. Friedberg = arrogant, ignorant, lazy ass. Evaluation is based on personal experience with him. He ain't gonna implement any of the shit he writes about because that would take hard work.

    Jaws? Get real! Do we really want as a judge a billboard hack who still thinks every B.S. rear-ender is a goldmine? The dude has been atrocious handling short trials.

    Davidson didn't win the last time he ran. If a former chief D.A. can't get elected, he must have a big problem.

    Palm? We know nothing about her and we know how that works out, don't we?

    Why the hell do we even need more departments? More departments just lowers the bar even further. They should bust up this clown posse and make them run against incumbants.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dept 30 is going to be XXX. The person elected to it needs to reflect that. I don't want to see any of these candidates naked. Can Miley transfer?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Whoa, XXX??? I need to file for that seat!

    Seriously, Davidson is a great guy and great attorney, unlike say Allf the Asshat. His problem is that he is smarter than everyone in the room and somehow just can't stop showing it. A little Dale Carnegie could clean him up nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Another great list of candidates.

    Davidson--Ran for DA got beat by Rogers and then canned. Chief Deputy City Attorney in North Las Vegas in the criminal division. Experienced but arrogant and will get "robitis" if elected.

    Friedberg--nice guy and competent, which is why he won't get elected.


    Palm--Isn't she a deputy PD. Notice she did not emphasize her defense background. Doesn't she do death cases. When anyone glosses over what they are doing now and talks about what they did in law school--watch out.

    Wiese-Isn't he "Jaws Law". Rest my case.

    The way these elections work usually--if one female with a bunch of males--female will emerge from primary against one male.

    ReplyDelete
  13. RE:1:11
    Palm is no longer a PD, she left that job. Not surprising, since she has had about 15 legal jobs in past 10 years (you should hear the stories the AGs and Supreme Ct staff tell abourt her in Washoe - can you say "The skinny Halverson"?). Not to mention her 11 husbands...

    ReplyDelete
  14. 1:33 PM - No way! Wow, the bench is the last refuge for any and every washout in town.

    Shame on all the good attorneys who are in their 50's or 60's and refuse to run because of the pay cut. This is what you get when titans of law stand silent - little mice get the run the place like Pavarotti.

    Al Marquis, Nick Santoro, Robert Eglet, Dennis Prince, Bill Urga, Bill Richardson, and so on, would all make great judges but heaven forbid the almighty income would shrink a little. Okay, it's not a little. Probably quite a lot. But the point remains.

    We should all thank hot shots like Stu Bell for taking the time to grace the law with their wisdom. That's how the system is supposed to work.

    ReplyDelete
  15. RE: 1:33 - Agree Stu Bell was a great judge, and it was a real community service for him to take the 80% pay cut to be DA and then a judge. He wanted to reform the way the courts did their work to make them more efficient, and the lazy judges prevented him form doing so (that is why he left after one term). I'm afraid that would happen to any other good experenced lawyers.

    That would be one thing in Davidson's favor - he clearly has no problem dealing with the gvt job (but also had some experence in private practice).

    ReplyDelete
  16. 3 men, one woman - the crazy lady is going to win it in a walk.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The trial experience as well as the ability to expertly handle the toughest of cases is what elevates Ms. Palm in her race. The ability to write as developed in law review and working with the Nevada Supreme Court is a necessary component of written Orders and Decisions. She appears to be the clear choice in this race.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Does anyone think that 3:43 is Ms. Palm voting for hersel? My vote is with Craig.

    ReplyDelete
  19. PALM-actually worked with her on a case-she did all the work & still cared about the family involved afterwards while I couldn't wait to get my file into storage-she's compassionate about what matters & is brilliant. She's cuter than the other candidates too.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Post has been updated to add Craig's photo, which my email lost the first time, and Trish's campaign website, which she emailed me after the post went live.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Does anyone think that 4:24 was also Palm?

    ReplyDelete
  22. 5:03 It can't be her cuz she was with me...Ohhh!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I agree. 3:43 and 4:24 is Palm. No one else would write: "The ability to write as developed in law review and working with the Nevada Supreme Court is a necessary component of written Orders and Decisions."

    I'd take Friedberg over Palm any day of the week.

    ReplyDelete
  24. If this was the year 2004, 3:43 would be Palm. However, since it is 2010, 3:43 is just a troll who got the responses he/she was looking for. Congrats.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Patricia Palm is by far more qualified than her opponents! She's been committed nearly her entire career to public service, both in northern and southern Nevada. She has experience in civil practice, both in the private sector and for the State. Moreso, she's got extensive experience was criminal matters. . . something hardly any candidate has. While these are civil positions, everybody knows they will get overflow cases from the criminal tracks and she's one of few who could handle those matters in addition to the civil cases. She was staff attorney at the Nevada Supreme Court, reviewing every kind of case heard on appeal. Aside from her intelligence and actual experience, she's a good person who is respectful and professional. She hasn't switched political parties to roll with the political tide of the time, and she hasn't changed who she is or how she treats people because of her campaign. Nevada would be lucky to have someone like her on the bench.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Palm has worked in every government agency in the State. Read: can't keep a job. Palm is a total mess and once cried through her entire closing argument in a capital murder trial. Oh, by the way, she read the whole closing while crying. Just the kind of temperment we need on the bench. I'm guessing her supporters on this blog also supported Jonathan MacArthur.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Friedberg is the guy who sues people for sending him unsolicited faxes to try and score a quick settlement from them? See Friedberg v. Aladdin Gaming, Nevada Bankruptcy Adversary Case 03-1237. That's not "consumer rights" practice, that's just plain crazy harassing b.s. I don't know him personally--he may be a great guy--but that kind of crap reflects poorly on him in my judgment.

    ReplyDelete
  28. In response to 5:59, I think that unsolicited faxes are a pain in the a** and subsidize someone else's advertising at my expense! They are using MY ink and paper and tying up MY phone lines for their agenda. How is this NOT a consumer rights issue?

    ReplyDelete
  29. The fact that Palm is endorsed by SIEU is all I need to know. What does a SIEU endorsement have to do with being a judge? The police union I can see, but SIEU? She will be just another stooge on the bench.

    ReplyDelete
  30. FRIEDBERG!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. It would also be nice if Palm outlined her resume on her website, including all of her legal jobs since graduating from law school and the dates during which she held the respective position. This would give us a good indicator of Palm's work history and stability, or lack thereof. Please, "Trish", explain your work history.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Dennis Prince? Really? Can't see how he would be a good judge.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I agree that Palm should provide dates for all employment. She might be a good judge but she was a bit of a diva while at the AG's office. Also, for anyone interested, her daughter was a "contestant" on last year's Rock of Love (the skankfest involving washout Brett something or other on VH1). Not that I watched it or anything (wink wink) but Palm's daughter was quite something to see.

    ReplyDelete
  34. It's totally offensive that "Trish" includes that she was a Clark County Deputy District Attorney on her website. She was a DA for about 6 months and then jumped ship to the PD's office (before then jumping ship to the SPD's office in about the same amount of time). I'm not sure that during either her stint at the DA's office or the PD's office that she ever even handled a District Court calendar! But she's qualified????

    ReplyDelete
  35. The only person worse for Distrcit Court than "Trish" Palm is PHil Dabney. That guy lets more criminals out of jail and back on the streets while sitting as a pro tem than Michael Cherry did.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Oh, and you like how Friedberg says he'll let other people use "his" courtroom for settlement conferences, etc. FYI - It's not YOUR courtroom, Craig. It is the State of Nevada's courtroom. Furthermore, Craig isnt' going to get a courtroom. There aren't enough to go around.

    ReplyDelete