Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Meet the Candidates: Department 28

Lucinda Coumou



1. Why do you want to be a judge?


I want to be a District Court Judge in the newly-created Department 28 because I bring not only experience and a record of public service, but a commitment to the hard work it takes to be fair and effective. A judge owes the parties in a case or controversy the diligence and preparation necessary to render a ruling grounded in a thorough understanding of the facts and the applicable law. These new departments have been created to help with the ever-growing civil caseload and the citizens of Clark County deserve judges that will work hard. I will be that kind of judge.


2. Why are you qualified to be a judge?


At present, I am a Chief Deputy District Attorney with the Clark County District Attorney’s Office. I have been a lawyer with the office for 16 years, beginning in the Appellate Division. I was then a prosecutor in the Criminal Division where I handled misdemeanor and felony cases and tried cases to juries in District Court. I then moved to the Civil Division where I have primarily handled the defense of Clark County and its various entities in civil litigation for the past 11 years. I have also participated in administrative hearings and I advise the District Attorney’s Office and District Court Administration on matters of policy and procedure and contracts. Additionally, I have represented the County, the District Attorney’s Office, LVMPD and individually-named officers in civil rights litigation in Federal District Court and the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals.


As a Deputy District Attorney for 16 years, I have demonstrated a commitment to public service. I have a broad range of experience practicing in both civil and criminal law and in both State and Federal Court. There is simply no substitute for hands-on experience. My qualifications go beyond that, however, because I would bring to my job as judge a genuine commitment to the citizens of Clark County to prepare diligently in order to run a fair, effective and efficient courtroom.


3. Do you read Wild Wild Law and if so, what do you think of the site?


I just recently began reading Wild Wild Law and I find it really informative. What a brilliant idea – a place where those in the legal profession can “meet” and trade tidbits about significant happenings. I will definitely stay tuned.


Jack Howard - No response received

Ron Israel

1. I have been practicing in Las Vegas for over twenty-eight years now, and Las Vegas has given me a very good living. I am now in the position that I can give back. I hope that my trial experience will benefit the community both litigants and attorneys alike.

2. I have practiced primarily civil law for the majority of my career in Clark County. I have handled all types of civil cases. I am a Court Appointed Arbitrator, as well as a Judge Pro Tem in the short trial program.

3. I have not read Wild Wild Law.

24 comments:

  1. WWL a place people can meet and exchange tidbits?

    That is either brilliantly phrased, or she doesn't know WWL very well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 10:40 - thank you for that tidbit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So does anyone know either of these candidates? I only feel like I know Ron because his signs follow me home at night.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh gosh, another Deputy D.A. who knows nothing about civil practice.

    Sorry folks, as a lawyer who practices in both criminal and civil, the truth can be told. Civil practice has so much more to it than getting a plea deal. So few criminal cases go to trial and the ones that do are the usually the slam dunks the D.A. forces to trial. The new judges will be all civil only and any lawyer who is one dimensional should be rejected.

    Ron Israel is just a personal injury plaintiff's hack who is whiner. Give me a break. What a "Hobson's choice."

    ReplyDelete
  5. RE: 12:44 - perhaps you could actually read the article before commenting? Coumou is not "another DA who knows nothing about civil practice" - she has been doing ONLY civil practice for the past 11 years. While there are DAs who just do criminal law, there are other DAs who only do civil law, only do family support enforcement, only do juvinile law, etc.

    I had one case where Ms. Coumou was opposing counsel, but it was about 6 years ago and we had little direct interaction (her briefs were competent, but I couldn't say if she was plesent or not).

    Ron and Bruce both seem to run for every judicial opening.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Coumou was definitely the better response. Apparently, SOMEone didn't read the submission. A Civil DA, while far from being worthy of a pass on her resume, has to try some legitimate cases. So far this broad (whom I do not know) has a solid upper hand over Israel's stupid ass. His response did nothing for him.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Although entertaining, does any of this really matter?

    Come election day, the majority of voters in Southern Nevada are going to cast their vote strictly out of name recognition...or whichever candidate has the most appealing name. I know that's what I always do.

    Douglas Q. Bubbletrousers has my vote!

    ReplyDelete
  8. @1:57 - If that's how you vote, then don't complain if you don't like who you get on the bench. This is a chance for us to get to know the names that we might not recognize.

    Every non-lawyer I know asks me for my "endorsements" whenever there are judicial elections. I think a lawyer's opinions are extremely important in shaping judicial elections. If you choose to go into this with a closed mind, that's up to you.

    I'm taking this as a chance to learn something about the candidates that I don't know as well as others. Especially here, where they know their audience is a bunch of hyper-critical lawyers (if they've read the site).

    This is especially true for me next week, which is when we will be running the family law candidates since I am not a family law practitioner.

    Even if this doesn't change your votes, I'm glad you find it entertaining. To everyone else, keep the discussion going. I personally find this information very helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with Elle.

    After reading the posts and comments, I'm leaning towards Sturman and Coumou.

    Come election time I will also be sure to tell each of the numerous people who ask me "Your an attorney, who should I vote for?" to vote for the same.

    So much for one person, one vote.

    By the way, I am willing to sell my "recommendations." I'll be selling my recommendations to vote in packs of 5, price TBD.

    ReplyDelete
  10. @3:02. I say great idea. Why shouldn't votes (or recommendations) be for sale just like the vacant seats?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey 12:44. If you actually practiced criminal law as you claim, then you would know Lucinda Coumou is married to Frank, one of the nicest guys practicing law. You would also know she has not done criminal prosecution in over 10 years. But since you really don't have a criminal practice liar, you sound off with your assine obnoxious comment.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Who said these campaign tidbits are articles? They are written by the candidates and thus constitute campaign statements. Personally believe that there are too many public lawyers going from one government job to another. The one candidate who did not submit any information--Jack Howard is most qualified. How can a person who has never represented a real client have any empathy for attorneys who have to pound the pavement every day to make a living?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey 4:29 since when is your husband qualifications to become a judge. Frank is a real nice guy.
    How come he isn't running? You can make a living doing misdos,
    traffic, and appear mostly in City Courts like Henderson. Anytime I have appeared downtown there is some new deputy d.a. du jour who just graduated from law school and does not know how to move a case.
    No wonder Bill Kephart and Bernie Z want to get the hell out of the DAs office.

    ReplyDelete
  14. @ 5:43 -

    Actually, Frank Coumou is running for JP.

    Also, stop trying to act like your client's innocent and get your ass to court on time, then maybe we can talk about my inability to "move a case."

    -Deputy DA du jour

    ReplyDelete
  15. I will be voting Coumou on this one.

    Ron Israel needs to take a hint.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I normally strongly prefer guys, but I would not only do this chick, I'd vote for her.

    ReplyDelete
  17. 12:44/5:43 I figured you knew Frank since you practice so much criminal law. I figured wrong. Handling your neighbors traffic tickets pro bono is not really practicing criminal defense.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I also believe you can learn something about people/candidates from their choice of spouses.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Spouses....yeah like Stefany Miley and Elizabeth Halverson.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Even if a DA has been engaged in civil practice they have never had a client who had to pay the bills for the costs of litigation. We don't need another person on the bench who doesn't have first hard experience with the costs (both financial and emotional) of civil litigaiton. If those judges who won't make decisions (see recent comments on Denton v. Bell) had to personally explain each non-decision maybe we wouldn't have the inertia present in State Courts.

    For those of you who are going to suggest the cost of litigation is not relevant, I suspect you've never had to explain to a client why the system in Clark County "functions" the way it has for (at least) the past 15 years.

    ReplyDelete
  21. If a candidate has a stick so far up their pigu that they "haven't read WWL" yet, then I won't be voting for him or her.

    Lighten up!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I think it's nice they found something to do together.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I think it's nice they found something to do together.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Lucinda Coumou is not a bad candidate and it also helps that she has a nice rack too...seriously it's pretty nice

    ReplyDelete